Tuesday, February 17, 2015

11 reasons that I will never leave the LDS church


"I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am, I know Gods plan. I'll follow him in faith." The lyrics to this primary song are words that often times come to my mind when my faith or beliefs are ridiculed or mocked by others. And that seems to be happening more and more these days. Sadly, by people that are members of the church.

No matter the organization, community or person there are always those that attempt to strip down the church and make it something that it really just isn't. For example...

"Mormons are a cult. Self-deluded followers of a murdered con man they call a "saint." Joseph Smith was a con-man not much different than L. Ron Hubbard and the Church of Scientology."
                                                                  
"I grew up Mormon. It's a suffocating religion. If you think for yourself, are liberal, gay or a woman who thinks equality is something worth fighting for, then this church is toxic to you. There has been too much suffering in my family and circle of friends because of this church and it's members."
                                                                 
"Joseph Smith was a polygamous pedophile (as the LDS "church" recently admitted) and a con man who plagiarized other books in circulation at the time and who foolishly used King James English (from the KJV of the Bible) to write his "Book of Mormon"."

These quotes are just a few of the comments that I have recently read about the church. I would be lying if I said that there was a time in my life where those comments didn't make my blood boil. It made me want to... just punch the brains out of some people.


One day though I realized that contemplating and giving time to the negative ideas that people had about the religion that I loved got me absolutely nowhere. I would stay up at night thinking about the comments that I had read or the anti propaganda videos or articles posted on social media. And there was nothing that I could do about it. I grew more and more frustrated about the misinformation that was being distributed-- especially in a society that is so easily granted information. I was tired of hearing about what I allegedly believed from bitter people who hated or had left the church out of spite.

With all that has happened in the last few years the leaders of the church have been forced to make some strong and difficult decisions. And all the while the people watched and ridiculed and criticized the decisions the leaders made. The rise of organizations that petition the church to change doctrine was a whole new idea to me. (I realize now that this has happened a lot. This was just the first time I'd paid attention)  All these different organizations keep asking the church to rethink its stance on certain issues...and this, I just don't understand. BECAUSE...If these members that begin these organizations are true believers in the structure of the church, then petitioning the prophet to change doctrine does not make sense. And repeatedly asking God after he has said no is just not the way to go...just ask Martin Harris.

If you honestly believe that the church is the church of God, then trust him. Trust in God, and trust that he will reveal his doctrine as he deems necessary. Questioning the laws and doctrine of our Heavenly Father is a blessing I think many of us don't take advantage of as much as we should. I think that looking for answers is what we should be doing. Although, I do believe in keeping a "in the grand scheme of things" perspective. I've done my research on the twelve tribes of Israel hiding in the middle of the earth. I researched into the weird beginnings of the church and some of the oddities of Joseph Smith, the founder of the church. But always in the back of my mind I think, "how is this helping me grow closer to Christ?" Usually it isn't. So to me it's not worth spending a lot of time studying.

Okay... and Joseph Smith... he was a great MAN. He did great things. He restored the gospel of Jesus Christ in its fulness, translated the Book of Mormon and showed great fortitude and diligence amidst trials that I could never overcome. But, all he is to me is the first prophet of this dispensation. Thank you Joseph Smith...but I, just like the rest of the LDS population, do not worship you.Yet, somehow I feel like there is a big miscommunication out there claiming that we worship Joseph Smith. This is false. He was, however, told by Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ to restore the full gospel of Christ.
 
"I saw two personages, who brightness and glory defy all description. One of the spake unto me, calling me by name and said unto me,"Joseph, this is my beloved son, hear him."

 In the recent months it was unveiled that Joseph Smith was a polygamist...GASP! That's it! My testimony is gone. I can't believe ol' Joe would do something like that! But can I ruin the scandal for you? The church has been honest about polygamy for a long time now. We also haven't practiced it for a very long time. I learned about polygamy as a teenager in Sunday school and read about it in a book published by the church in 1989. And to be honest, most people in the mainstream LDS church think it's just as weird as the people outside of it. Polygamy has now just turned into a joke I use to tease my wife.

Like when she says this...

  I respond...
"This is why polygamy would be so great!"



So for real, it's just as weird and outdated to us as everyone else...except polygamists.

But in reality, it's not something I can fathom or possibly hope to understand now. Polygamy was righteously practiced in the old testament, so it's obviously a doctrine of sorts. However, I'll wait til the next life to try to understand it.

One more thing about polygamy -- according to Joseph Smith he didn't want to institute polygamy. In fact, an angel with a sword came down and said, "listen buddy, either institute polygamy, or I'ma  shank you." Okay, so that's no a direct quote. Look for a more in depth discussion on that here.

The church does have a few things that a lot of people find disturbing about the church. Accusations that it is racist or sexist or discriminatory are always being tossed around. The past of the church is filled with polygamous scandals, and the entire history of the church has many controversial excommunicated dissenters -- from past and present. Apparently, our beliefs aren't Christian and the Book of Mormon is just a copy of the Bible... There is so much that people can find wrong about the church. But let me tell you something...

I DON'T CARE.


Well, I am. I honestly do not care about any of these controversies. They are 100% out of my control. I do not believe that my time is best spent trying to unravel the mysteries of forgotten events, or teachings that have been hidden in the shadows. I believe that attempting to evoke change in the doctrine of the church so that it better suits my agenda and lifestyle will cause the church to crumble. I believe this because I believe that Jesus Christ leads and guides the church.

I do believe that God is the head of this church and that Jesus Christ is the savior of the world. I believe that the Book of Mormon is true. I've read it, and it does not accomplish anything except for bring me closer to the Savior. I LOVE the doctrine of the church. And even if there are things, ideas and actions that the church makes that I do not completely understand right now, which there are. The potential to live with my family for all eternity trumps any little doubt that my mind or somebody with a YouTube comment can conjure up.

The doctrine of the church teaches that through the sealing power of the Priesthood that was restored to the earth, we can stay together with our families even after this life. This doctrine is not a common one in the christian world. Yes, the belief that the righteous will go to heaven and the unrighteous to hell-- and everyone will dwell together with God, is common. We believe in the Plan of Salvation, which teaches through the sealing power of the priesthood we can be sealed together as family units, husband and wife for eternity. So my wife will be my wife for forever. Sorry Aleece.

That's why, Aaron, Tyler and Zach... you guys are just fine. Don't rush it, just find the right girl.

Forever is a long time.

So I've come to the conclusion that nothing or nobody is going to take me away from my family. There is not one bit of obscure doctrine, shady past or current event that will sway me to forsake my family. I'm not in this church for the church's sake, I'm in this for my family and to serve the Savior. The church is a tool I can use to build my stairway to heaven, so I can live with God and my family after this life.

So here are my 11 reasons I will never leave the church...


                                                                                      #1. Michael-- My Dad

You couldn't find someone on this planet that I admire more. He has always been my basketball and baseball coach. He was recently ordained to serve as a Bishop in the church. I've never met anyone that worked harder than he has to give his family a great life. I love him.









#2. Sandra -- My Mom  
She has been there since day one. She nearly died just giving birth to me. To say that I've learned a lot from watching her would be a gross understatement.  She has so much love for the people around her. She is the best mom in the whole world. I love her.






                   

 #3. Beth -- My Little Sister
Okay, when God made her he definitely broke the mold... in half. And that's why she's so tiny. But when I said I'd never met anyone that worked harder than my Dad. Beth is right there giving him a run for his money. She is a great sister to have! I love you Beth!






#4.
The ever...

Elusive...
Nelson-- My Little Brother
Ah, there he is! 







This kid has followed me around since he was little. I can't even put into words how much I love my little brother. He is a pain, and he always tries to one up me on anything we do together. But, he's on his mission in Mexico right now and I miss him so much. I'm so proud of him. I couldn't even imagine not spending eternity without this idiot. I love you man!







 #5.  Aleece-- My Wife
Isn't she just cute!
Once again, I have no words to describe how much I love her. Four years ago I barely knew this girl existed, and now I can't imagine my life without her. I love her more than anything, and she is the reason the gospel is so important to me. I want to be the best husband I can be. I want to be there for her through thick and thin and the good and the bad.

But, I believe that part of being a good husband is always being there for her.  That's why the gospel is so important to me. Aleece and I were married in the Logan temple, and through the sealing power of the priesthood we can be together forever, and I can ALWAYS be there for her. I love you, Aleece.






#6. The Thain Family -- Aleece's Family
Oh what can be said about the family of my in laws? Oh what to say, except for I love you guys. You have taught me to learn to love others. And your children have taught me...patience. And the joy of silence...and also the joy of noise. I love you guys.
This is multiple families... All with one wife and thousands of kids














#7. Schon-- Beth's Husband
Schon the frog catcher, he caught a frog and turned it into a princess...then married her.
Since the day that he caught a Tiger Musky over forty inches long he has been in my book of people I admire. He works hard to take care of my sister, and is a good example to me of being a great new dad. I love this guy.
Cutest baby ever...Well done you two, well done.






#8. Addison-- My Niece, the daughter of Beth and Schon
Oh Addison, you are lucky to have the parents that you have! I am excited to have you in our family. You're the cutest little girl I have ever seen! I love you...but I'm never changin your diapers. 





#9.  Avery -- My Daughter...that's so cool. My daughter.
I can honestly say that I'm scared out of my mind to have you Avery. I have never felt so insecure or worried in my entire life. However, every day that passes, I get more excited to hold you in my arms and look into your eyes. I really hope you look like your mom. Because between you and me, she is gorgeous! Avery, I am excited to have you with us soon! Please, stay healthy! I love you.

#10. Ellen -- My Little Angelic Sister
Our one and only full family picture
You know Ellen, because you passed away as a a baby-- I sometimes don't tell people about you. But that doesn't mean that you've been forgotten. To be honest, there aren't a whole lot of days that go by that I don't think about you. It's really hard for me to talk about you sometimes. I know you were just a tiny little girl, and that I only held you for a few minutes before you passed away. But thanks to the the gospel of Jesus Christ and the faith that I have, I believe that we will see each other again. I know that you looked after Addison before she came to this earth, and that right now you're watching over our little Avery. I know you were there at the temple when Aleece and I were sealed together for time and all eternity, I could feel you there next to me. Sometimes, when I'm struggling, I can hear you talking to me and I can feel you lifting me up. You're the help that I need when I'm too prideful to ask. And I can't wait to see you again. I love you.

#11 Jesus Christ -- My Savior
I am very grateful for the Savior. If every other reason to attend church and stay active and continue to serve, fails. This is my reason to never stop. I am so indebted to the Savior that I cannot afford to stop doing what he asks of me. I believe in the Bible, as well as the Book of Mormon. Both testify of the divinity and power of Jesus Christ.

Isaiah 53:5 "But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities..."
Matthew 31:30 "And after they had mocked him, they took the robe off from him, and put his own raiment on him, and led him away to crucify him."
1 Nephi 10:10 "...And after they had slain the Messiah, who should come, and after he had been slain he should rise from the dead, and should make himself manifest..."
Mosiah 3:10 "And he shall rise the third day from the dead; and behold, he standeth to judge the world; and behold, all these things are done that a righteous judgement might come upon the children of men."
2 Peter 3:9 "The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is long suffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance."

The Book of Mormon and Bible paint one story of major importance. That is, Christ coming to the earth to atone for our sins. I love him.

This is why despite all the controversy and doubt that is, as Michael Scott would say, "spiraling out of amuck." As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints we need to find purpose in the gospel. Without purpose there really is no meaning or point of sticking around. It will be much easier to fall and stay down when life punches you in the stomach if you have no reason to get back up. It's important to ask yourself, "why am I doing this?" If you can't think of a reason I invite you to find one.



Because I know mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment